he British Geotechnical Association (BGA) has received the prestigious Outstanding member society award of the International Society of Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (ISSMGE), in recognition of the outstanding work of the BGA over the four year period 2013-17.
The ISSMGE makes this award once every four years. BGA contributions that were considered for the award were.
- The highly successful Edinburgh ECSMGE organised by the BGA and particularly, Professor Mike Winter, Derek Smith, Peter Eldred, Professor David Toll and Dr Chris Menkiti.
- The encouragement given by the BGA to its members via awards etc.
- BGA contributions to ISSMGE Technical Committees.
- Contributions to the advancement of science and technology through publications by BGA members.
- The BGA lecture programme including special lectures such as the internationally renowned Rankine lecture.
The BGA received the award at the recent 19th ISSMGE conference in Seoul. The photograph shows Professor Stephan Jefferis (past chairman, BGA) receiving the award on behalf of the BGA
Left to right Professor Ng (incoming President of the ISSMGE), Professor Dong-Soo Kim (Chair of the organising committee of the Seoul Conference, Professor Stephan Jefferis (past chairman BGA) and Professor Roger Frank (immediate past President of the ISSMGE).